Finding the best healthcare employee is not an easy task. In the healthcare industry, it is of vital importance to find the right people because the requirements are usually high, and the turnover rate among applicants is rising as well. An employee is a healthcare facility’s greatest resource, so it is crucial to hire the best candidates for the job. Interview questions can help an organization find a person with the right skills as well as being the best fit for the company culture.
A Few C’s to Keep in Mind
To obtain a clear picture of a prospective employee, it helps for a hiring manager to keep some broad categories in mind while developing useful interview questions. It is vital to ask questions that will provide insight into a candidate’s character, work ethic, and capabilities. Here are some wide-ranging categories from which to develop healthcare interview questions:
- Competent. Does the potential employee have the skills, education, and experience to perform the task?
- Capable. Does the employee have the potential for growth and the ability to take on more responsibility?
- Compatible. Can this employee get along with other team members, existing and potential clients?
- Commitment. Is the candidate just passing through, or are they serious about working for the long term?
- Character. Do the person’s values align with that of the company? Are they honest? Are they a team player?
- Culture. Will this employee fit into the company culture?
Some Interview Questions
Prepare your interview by questioning yourself what you would like to know about the particular candidate. Try to avoid clichés and questions that require yes or no answers. Give these interview questions a try:
- How did you fill idle time at your last job?
- Tell us about your last performance review. How could you improve?
- What circumstances kept you from fulfilling your job responsibilities at your last job?
- Describe a recent problem with one of your manager’s decisions?
- Tell us about a recent problem with a co-worker. And how was it handled?
- What part of your character makes you a good fit for this job?
- How do you make seamless transitions on shift change?
- How do you respond when critiqued by a manager?
- Give an example of something you did without being asked to do it?
- Why did you choose to work in healthcare?
- How well do you handle the pressure?
- How do you feel your education has prepared you to work in the healthcare field?
- How do you provide care to someone while maintaining their dignity?
- What is your understanding of HIPPA laws?
Does Your Practice Demand More Qualified Healthcare Professionals?